31. Although apparently rigid, bones exhibit a degree of elasticity that enables the skeleton to withstand considerable impact.
32. That xenon could not FORM chemical compounds was once believed by scientists.
33. Research into the dynamics of storms is directed toward improving the ability topredict these events and thus to minimize damage and avoid loss of life. 33.对风暴动力学的研究是为了提高风暴预测从而减少损失，避免人员伤亡。
34. The elimination of inflation would ensure that the amount of money used in repaying a loan would have the same value as the amount of money borrowed. 34.消除通货膨胀应确保还贷的钱应与所贷款的价值相同。
35. Futurism, an early twentieth-century movement in art, rejected all traditions and attempted to glorify contemporary life by emphasizing the machine and motion.
36. One of the wildest and most inaccessible parts of the United States is the Everglades where wildlife is abundant and largely protected.
37. Lucretia Mott’s influence was so significant that she has been credited by some authorities as the originator of feminism in the United States.
37. Lucretia Mott’s的影响巨大，所以一些权威部门认定她为美国女权运动的创始人。
38. The activities of the international marketing researcher are frequently much broader than those of the domestic marketer.
39. The continental divide refers to an imaginary line in the North American Rockies that divides the waters flowing into the Atlantic Ocean from those flowing into the Pacific.
40. Studies of the gravity field of the Earth indicate that its crust and mantle yield when unusual weight is placed on them.
41. The annual worth of Utah’s manufacturing is greater than that of its mining and farming combined.
42. The wallflower is so called because its weak stems often grow on walls and along stony cliffs for support.
43. It is the interaction between people, rather than the events that occur in their lives, that is the main focus of social psychology.
44. No social crusade aroused Elizabeth Williams’ enthusiasm more than the expansionof educational facilities for immigrants to the United States.
45. Quails typically have short rounded wings that enable them to spring into full flight instantly when disturbed in their hiding places.
46. According to anthropologists, the earliest ancestors of humans that stood upright resembled chimpanzees facially, with sloping foreheads and protruding brows.
47. Not until 1866 was the fully successful transatlantic cable finally laid.
48. In his writing, John Crowe Ransom describes what he considers the spiritual barrenness of society brought about by science and technology.
48. John Crowe Ransom在他的著作中描述了他认为是由科学技术给社会带来的精神贫困。
49. Children with parents whose guidance is firm, consistent, and rational are inclined to possess high levels of self-confidence.
50. The ancient Hopewell people of North America probably cultivated corn and other crops, but hunting and gathering were still of critical importance in their economy.
51. Using many symbols makes it possible to put a large amount of inFORMation on a single map.
52. Anarchism is a term describing a cluster of doctrines and attitudes whose principal uniting feature is the belief that government is both harmful and unnecessary.
53. Probably no man had more effect on the daily lives of most people in the Untied States than did Henry Ford a pioneer in automobile production.
54. The use of well-chosen nonsense words makes possible the testing of many basic hypotheses in the field of language learning.
55. The history of painting is a fascinating chain of events that probably began with the very first pictures ever made.
56. Perfectly matched pearls, strung into a necklace, bring a far higher price than the same pearls told individually.
57. During the eighteenth century, Little Turtle was chief of the Miami tribe whoseterritory became what is now Indiana and Ohio.
58. Among almost seven hundred species of bamboo, some are fully grown at less than a foot high, while others can grow three feet in twenty-four hours.
59. Before staring on a sea voyage, prudent navigators learn the sea charts, study the sailing directions, and memorize lighthouse locations to prepare themselves for any conditions they might encounter.
60. Of all the economically important plants, palms have been the least studied.